Sunday, June 21, 2015

Charity and Gratitude

Glad to hear everyone is good! How's the weather in Iowa?

This week has been a very exhausting week. We helped a few people move this week and I could probably sleep all day if I could. We also found a new investigator this past week, and a couple potentials who seems very interested have set up appointments this week, so hope to have a few more investigators this week as well.

This past week I also got to prepare for our zone fast we had this past fast and testimony Sunday. We decided as a zone to fast for Charity and Gratitude. I felt that was a little too broad and wanted to specify what I wanted to fast for to help people. So I studied a lot on Gratitude and Charity. And came up two things that I fasted for:

1) Quick to remember and praying in gratitude.
2) More exact obedience out of my love for the Savior

I pray now that I may continue to apply it as I continue throughout my mission.

We had companionship inventory a couple days ago at the end of weekly planning, and we had a good conversation about leadership and examples. Since Elder Plymell is the district leader we talked about his job to help his district. One thing that he pointed out was me not trusting enough. So I have mapped out my studies for the rest of this month about understanding the role of my Savior and His Spirit, Humility, and faith+hope for things. The hardest thing to do is apply the principles I am learning. I have been blessed with a lot of insight as I read my scriptures that it seems to be a lot I need to apply in my life.

Elder Neal A. Maxwell once taught us:
"Sometimes we get so busy discussing the doctrines that talking about them almost becomes a substitute for applying them. One cannot improve, therefore, upon the instructive words of King Benjamin: "Now, if you believe all these things see that ye do them" (Mosiah 4:10).
Nephi's "I will go and do" leads to action and brings results. Its counterpart, "I will stay here and moodily contemplate my navel," stirs no souls, indicative of those who are willing to serve the Lord but only in an advisory capacity."

Transfers are coming up! We get the call on Saturday. I hope I stay in this area for at least one more transfer, but I guess we will what the Lord wants on Saturday.

We had the opportunity to teach High Priest on the First Presidency Message on Families can Be Together Forever. It gave me an opportunity to contemplate and reflect back on my life with us as a family and what we did and what we could have done better as -no one is perfect so don't feel bad- but I feel peace when I think about us. We hear from members about their kids who have moved out that are not active anymore and listening to them beat themselves up about what they could have done better. When really it is up to ourselves individually which master to serve. I am glad our house has chosen to serve the Lord. I pray all of us will continue to have the desire to pick up the scriptures and read daily. To be single-minded to the Lord. I am very blessed to have this opportunity to change while on the mission, and I see the miracles of my choice to serve everyday. I love you guys a bunch! And miss you guys so much! Have a wonderful week!

Elder Harris

--
Elder Jorvik Ty Harris
Rancho Cucamonga, California

No comments:

Post a Comment