Tuesday, March 31, 2015

An eye-opening week and an upcoming bacon eating challenge!

Another week down, can't believe it! This week has been an eye-opening week and have learned a lot on how to become a better missionary. My companion and I witnessed two car accidents, one actually happened today which was crazy. Just shows how blessed and lucky we are with being safe. We went to a huge car show here in Chino, and that is were I realized I am scared to death talking to people. There is a really good talk/letter all missionaries read entitled, "Fear no man" which is helping me as I have been trying to talk with everyone everywhere. The #becauseHeLives thing is super awesome, and a helpful tool to use as we talk to people. This week we did a lot of service hours, and worked with less active members which was fine but we are wanting more investigators to teach. Mission is by far the hardest thing I have ever done in my life, and it is not getting any easier lol. The mission is "98% hard work, disappointment, struggle, difficulty, sorrow, and even pain. 2%.......2% is pure joy." General Conference is next week!! Can't wait! Our bishop in my ward I'm serving in invited us to a bacon eating contest Saturday morning before the session!!! 

I think the training went well, I was complemented by the sisters and zone leaders, so I think that means it went well lol.

S, the investigator, who wanted to quit smoking didn't want it enough and she is still smoking.

We still see her, but people's free agency allows us to do so much.

Well this past week I started Elder Bednar's challenge and put a question in the beginning of The Book of Mormon, read through it, and then answer the question. My question is,"How do I deepen my conversion?" I realize being who I want to become is a lot of hard work, and I realize I am scared to do it, and I don't know how to bear down and just do it. Anyways I miss ya! Love ya!

On a separate note one of the members in the ward who is in charge of all the ward mission leaders in our stake is Brother Gutierez. And he works in the hospital, and works on cases with neurosurgeons. And works with the residents at the hospital he works there, and said when I get home that he would get me an in with one of the top neurosurgeons in the hospital (note: the hospital Brother Gutierez works at has the top state of the art technology in the whole world.) and come down in the summer time to work cases with them! So that is super cool and exciting, but besides that trust me, I am 100% focused on missionary work. Hope the fam is doing well! Didn't hear from Halley this week. Love you!

Elder Harris


I was intrigued by Jorvik's statement about Elder Bednar's challenge.  I am always trying to learn more and develop new ways of studying doctrines. So I did some research and this is what I came up with:
Elder David A. Bednar taught, “The answer to the question is always in the doctrine.” He also told us to ask ourselves this question, “What doctrine or principal if better understood would help us to _____________?" In this case, what doctrine or principal if better understood would help us to share the Gospel of Jesus Christ with our friends, family and neighbors?
President Boyd K. Packer taught, “True doctrine, understood, changes attitudes and behavior. The study of the doctrines of the gospel will improve behavior quicker than a study of behavior will improve behavior.” If we want to change our behavior in relationship to sharing the Gospel then we must understand the doctrine
As we come to understand true doctrine our nature will change. We will become new creatures and we will experience a mighty change of heart. Understanding does not mean book knowledge or worldly knowledge; rather it is the understanding that comes by the power of the Holy Ghost bearing witness to our spirit that the doctrine is true. This kind of understanding does not come by casual study or with mild interest. Understanding that causes a mighty change of heart, is earned by those who have sufficient desire, exercise sufficient faith and labor with all of their heart, might, mind and strength. Only when we engage ourselves to this extent will we achieve understanding capable of changing our behavior. Only then will we experience a change of heart.
*********************************************
The Seven Steps
How to proceed: (Adapted from: The Power of Everyday Missionaries, by Clayton Christensen.)
  • Start by kneeling in prayer. Pray out loud. Ask God to help you understand what you are reading. Pray that the Holy Ghost will be with you as you read.
  • Read the material (book, chapter, talk, etc.)
  • Write down the answers, in draft form, to your question.
  • Kneel again in prayer. Pray out loud. Explain to God the answers you have written down. Tell him you’re going to read the material one more time. Ask Him to please help you understand even more deeply the answers that He would have you understand.
  • Read the material again.
  • Revise your answers, based on your deeper understanding. Write a one page summary of what you learned.
  • Kneel again and pray a third time. But the purpose of this prayer will be different. This time you need to ask God if the things that you have written, and the things that you have read, are true.
THE PROMISE - As your stake president, I promise that as you seek understanding you will be blessed with "great treasures of knowledge." The spirit of the Holy Ghost will rest upon you and will testify the truth of all things to you. I further promise that you will receive a change of heart capable of changing your behavior to do all things that the Lord commands you to do.
Alma 26:22
"...Unto such it is given to know the mysteries of God; yea, unto such it shall be given to reveal things which never have been revealed; yea, and it shall be given unto such to bring thousands of souls to repentance..."

I am going to apply this and I will return and report!!!  I am excited to hear next week how the bacon eating challenge went! I hope he sends pictures!!!

Please watch this Easter video:

No comments:

Post a Comment